Summer is the perfect time for a whole host of exciting activities: traveling, soaking up the sun, and, most importantly – bonding with your furry best friend. With longer days and warmer weather, there's an abundance of fun just waiting to be had with your pup. But if you're unsure about what should be on your summertime agenda, fear not – All American Pet Resorts has your back!
We've compiled 10 amazing activity ideas for you and your four-legged companion to enjoy during those sizzling summer months, along with some crucial pet safety tips to keep in mind. So grab your sunscreen, leash, and a sense of adventure – it's time to make this summer one to remember!
1. Enjoy a Beach Day
If you're lucky enough to have a beach near your home, consider a beach day! Your dog will love running through the sand, swimming in the ocean, and even romping with other dogs that may be there. Here are some things to remember for your dog's next beach trip:
- Be sure to check if there are any off-leash restrictions before bringing your pup
- Choose the right time of day to avoid overcrowding
- Bring plenty of water to keep your pup hydrated
- Consider a pet-safe sunscreen to protect from harmful UV rays
2. Throw a Pool Party
If your dog loves to swim and beaches are far from you, a pool party could do the trick. You can even make your own doggy pool with shallow paddling pools and kiddie pools for extra fun. Just remember to:
- Supervise your dog at all times
- Provide them with plenty of shade
- Add toys into the mix to really make things fun
3. Go for a Hike
If you have nature trails you've wanted to explore or a hike on your bucket list for some time, summer is the best season to take it on – especially with your pup! While avoiding extra hot days can help keep you and your dog safe during your next hike, there are a few other things to add to your pre-hike checklist:
- Bring plenty of water and snacks
- Keep an eye out for poisonous plants or animals
- Research the trail's skill level to make sure your pup is comfortable
- Begin your hike early in the day to avoid hot temperatures
- Give your pup breaks for some rest and hydration
4. Arrange a Camping Trip
If your pup is an outdoor enthusiast, set up a camping trip with you and your pup this summer! Whether it’s in the backyard or at a nearby park, any adventure will create memories that will last forever. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Check with the campsite in advance for pet policies
- Bring a leash (your pup will likely need to be on it at all times)
- Bring two dog beds – one for outside and one for inside the tent
- Consider tick prevention products for your pup beforehand
5. Visit Your Local Dog Park
Whether your pup hasn't had a chance to explore your local dog park yet or it's already a favorite of theirs, a summer jaunt to the dog park can be lots of fun. It can help them let out any of their pent-up energy, socialize with other dogs, and make new friends. Here are some things to remember when you and your pup go to the park:
- Always have a leash handy
- Bring treats to help with training or socialization
- Pay attention to other dogs' body language – if they appear stressed, it's time for your pup to take a break
- Remember to pack water and a water bowl
6. Plan a Movie Night
You don't have to spend all your time outside! One of the best indoor activities you and your dog can do together is have a movie night. Pop some popcorn, cuddle up with your pup, and enjoy the show!
Of course, you can always play a movie outside with a projector, too! Or you can find a local drive-in theater that allows pups, too.
7. Have a Picnic
One of life's simple pleasures is to have a picnic – but to make it even better, bring your pup! You can pick up lunch from your favorite restaurant or bring your own food, but also pack some treats for your pup. You can spend the afternoon eating and doing many things, like:
- Playing fetch with a frisbee or ball
- Socializing with friends' dogs
- Work on training with your dog
- Walking or jogging around the park
8. Attend Dog-Friendly Outdoor Events
A great way to have fun with your pup is to attend nearby outdoor events, like festivals and concerts. While you’ll want to check the rules for bringing pets first, it’s a great way to get out of the house and support your local community – all while providing socialization for your dog as well!
9. Drop Them off at Doggie Day Care
If you need a break from all the fun activities with your pup, daycare is a great option. All American Pet Resorts offers full-service amenities to make sure your pup has everything they need, from food to playtime, while you get some much-needed time for yourself or if you simply want to attend a summer event that's not pet-friendly.
10. Plan a Resort Stay While You're Away
If you're traveling to a non-pet-friendly resort or your pet gets anxious on trips, leaving them behind may be the best option. While it's hard, choosing a local dog boarding facility you trust can help ease your worries.
All American Pet Resorts offers safe, comfortable, and affordable options, no matter the length of their stay. We offer spacious suites and a variety of engaging activities your pup will adore!
Here's what makes our dog hotels the top spot for your pup:
- Kennel-free boarding with soft beds and cozy blankets
- Personalized care for your pup from a certified team
- A clean and sanitized space for your pup to enjoy
- Around the lock security and webcam for your peace of mind
Now Get Out There – Or Swing by Our Pet Resort Today!
We hope these 10 dog friendly activities have given you some ideas of how to have a great summer with your pup and why All American Pet Resorts is the go-to spot to keep your pup safe and healthy if you want to do something separate. So, get out there and make some summertime memories with your pup – or swing by our pet resort if you need a place for your pup to stay!
Ready to give All American Pet Resorts a try? Contact your local resort and see why we've become the summertime home for countless pups and their pet parents nationwide!